This item is not available via the web site. Please call your Adventist Book Center store at 1-800-765-6955 for pricing and availability.
Level 2 Lesson Plans
1. Information for the Teacher
- Objectives for each lesson.
2. Teaching the Lesson
- Strategies for teaching language, comprehension, vocabulary, and decoding skills.
- Opportunities to apply skills through discussing, reading, and completing pupil’s text pages.
- Full-color facsimile pages from the pupil’s text.
- Teaching strategies recommended for instruction prior to pupil’s independent work on skill activity (Skilpak) pages.
- Non-paper/pencil activities, including games, to provide a variety of learning experiences.
3. Interrelated Activities
- Activities focused on language development.
- Suggestions for helping pupils develop a greater awareness of literature.
- Activities for stimulating creativity.
4. Developing Reading Skills
- Clearly stated objectives
- Instruction suggestions and skill activities for decoding, vocabulary, comprehension, and study.
- The Practice section includes reproductions of Skilpak pages that are to be completed by the pupils independently.
Level 2 Content
A Time to Play provides a systematic introduction to reading through eight units using a language-experience based approach. The children meet the main characters, Bill, Jill, Ben, Ted, Nan, Rosa, and Lad in a variety of situations, such as enjoying the playground, visiting an airport and an observation tower, racing in a roller skating contest, and building a club house. They also read about these characters in brief stories. These characters also appear in Level 3, Seek and Find and Level 4, Who Will Come In?
Level 2 Skills Development
The goal is to reinforce the essential skills taught in Level 1 and to prepare children for a positive reading experience in the next levels. Because of the background children receive in the development of vocabulary, comprehension, and decoding, they can move ahead rapidly and with assurance.
Vocabulary. Twelve of the 41 words used in Level 2 have been introduced and reinforced in Level 1. Level 2 reinforces these 12 words, presents 29 new words, and provides extensive practice with all 41 basic vocabulary words.
Comprehension. Development of visual and written comprehension is emphasized in this level through recognizing and inferring details, identifying main ideas, determining sequence, predicting outcomes, relating text to pictures, and drawing conclusions. These skills are fostered by well-organized instructional procedures.
Decoding. Level 2 gives reinforcement and extension of the consonant and vowel sound-letter correspondences introduced in Level 1. Substitution of initial consonant letters is dealt with through the use of auditory, visual, and kinesthetic techniques.
Study Skills. Study Skills are initiated with the introduction of seven color names and practice in reading these words is provided in one-step directions. Recognition of all capital and small letter forms in alphabetical order is taught and reinforced throughout Level 2.
Language. A formal language lesson for an experience story is presented as the first lesson in each unit. Other language activities, which range though all aspects of communication, discussion, dramatization, and syntax, are presented in the Interrelated Activity section of the lesson plan.
Literature. Through the reading of brief stories, the children discover ways the characters become involved in various situations and assume responsibilities for solving problems.
Creativity. Creativity is stressed through the interpretation of the motives and actions of story characters, elaboration of supplied data, and anticipation of outcomes. The creative faculties of the children are involved in dramatization, storytelling, and completion of open-ended stories.
Level 2 Instructional Aids
- Answer keys for the Criterion Exercises.
- Information on the use of booster activities.
- Standard Key to Phonemic Notation.
- Glossary of Decoding Terms
- Glossary of Terms for Pupils (by level)
- Word List for Level 2
Placement of Level 2
Level 2 was designed for use in kindergarten or first grade. It is intended that a child will take from eight to ten weeks to complete it, although the length of time may be shorter or longer for some children.