In the Beginning, Teacher's Edition Kindergarten Level 1
ISBN: 9780828002585 | 419 pages | Review and Herald Publishing | Copyright 2004
This item is temporarily out-of-stock via the web site. Some local stores may have stock. Please call your local store at 1-800-765-6955 for availability.
Level 1 Lesson Plans
1. Information for the Teacher. What you need to know before you present the lesson, such as instructional outcomes, tasks, concepts, vocabulary, materials needed.
2. Teaching the Lesson. Procedures and techniques to introduce and develop the skills and concepts for the lesson. Using the page (in the student workbook) suggests a way to apply the concepts learned in the lessons. Evaluation suggest a technique to assess the children’s abilities to meet the instructional objective of the lesson.
3. Reinforcing the Lesson. One or more additional procedures for the children who have not demonstrated the instructional objective of the lesson.
4. Ending the Lesson. A variety and range of suggestions for adjusting instruction to individual needs.
Content and Skills Development
Decoding for Level 1 includes:
- Visual discrimination of shapes and colors.
- Recognition of capital and small letter forms.
- Word recognition of twelve basic vocabulary words.
- Auditory discrimination of environment sounds and the sounds represented by the letter forms at the beginning of words.
The language aspect ranges from simple concept development such as identifying and naming specific attributes and spatial relationships to communication skills such as extending sentences and dictating and writing experience chart stories. Most lessons present stories, poems, or open-ended topics for discussion, concept development, and language extension.
- 4 reproducible masters that are used with the attribute lessons for geometric shapes
- 26 full-color key character pictures that are used with the sound-letter correspondences
- 7 full-color story character pictures that are used to introduce the "cast of characters" and the characters’ names. (The story characters also appear throughout Level 2. It is recommended that each key character and story character picture be mounted on tagboard).
Placement of Level 1
In the Beginning, Level 1, was designed for use in kindergarten or first grade. If Level 1 is taught in kindergarten, a leisurely pace can be followed. When Level 1 is taught in the first grade and/or early childhood program, care should be taken to move the program along for capable students.
Prereading Rating Scale
The Prereading Rating Scale included in this teacher’s edition, is adapted from the Clymer-Barrett Prereading Battery. The scale can be used to judge areas of strength and weakness in characteristics that are related to success in reading.